Sommelier Fundamentals Series
The purpose of the Sommelier Fundamentals Series is to provide students with a foundational knowledge of the core subjects of wine, beer, sake, and spirits that they can apply throughout their pursuit of beverage education.
The knowledge gained in the Sommelier Fundamentals Series will better prepare students for success at the Introductory Sommelier Course and Examination, a fast-paced, intensive review and exam that requires significant preparation prior to attendance.
In this series students will:
- Be instructed by 18 Master Sommeliers over a 10-week period.
- Have the option to attend the live session or watch the recorded version at your convenience.
- Students who watch the session live will have access to the recorded version to watch again at a later time.
- Receive a foundational-level introduction to wine, beer, sake, and spirits.
- Learn to evaluate and describe wine using the Court of Master Sommeliers, Americas Deductive Tasting Method® as a framework.
- Learn essential professional sommelier skills, such as wine and food pairing, beverage service, and familiarity with the business of the sommelier.
Individual class: $49
Complete Series (10 classes): $399, includes 18% savings
Each session will include a virtual guided tasting. Students are welcome to purchase beverages on their own, but it is not required. A recommended list of beverages will be provided in advance.
Who should attend this series:
- Anyone who wants to learn more about wine as a hobby or personal interest.
- Students starting their career in the food and beverage industry or considering one as a sommelier or other industry professional.
- Students preparing for the Introductory Sommelier Course and Examination.
- Students seeking a refresher as they study for the Certified Sommelier Examination.
How do I attend?
The choice is yours! Attend a live session during which you can ask the Master Sommeliers questions and engage with other participants, or watch the recorded version at your convenience and learn at your own pace. Once purchased, you will have access to the recording at any time.
Students can take individual courses that suit their interests but are urged to take the entire series, as each class builds on the knowlede learned in previous sessions.
Live sessions will be held on Thursdays for 10 weeks. Please see Online Learning schedule for exact dates and times.
Description and Details
There are 10 classes in the Sommelier Fundamentals Series
Please see Online Learning schedule for exact dates and times.
- Class 1: Fundamentals of Grape Growing
- Class 2: Fundamentals of Winemaking
- Class 3: Fundamentals of Food and Wine Pairing
- Class 4: Fundamentals of Wine Law and How to Read Wine Labels
- Class 5: Fundamentals of Sparkling Wine
- Class 6: Fundamentals of Fortified Wines and Sweet Wines
- Class 7: Fundamentals of Beer for Sommeliers
- Class 8: Fundamentals of Sake for Sommeliers
- Class 9: Fundamentals of Spirits and Cocktails for Sommeliers
- Class 10: Service and Hospitality for Sommeliers
Each 90-minute class will:
- Cover the main lecture topic (approximately 45 minutes)
- Provide a guided beverage tasting (approximately 45 minutes)
- Touch on practical, professional sommelier skills, service tips, and the business of the sommelier
More on the Guided Beverage Tastings:
- To complement the lecture topics, the tastings will cover the beverage world, including wine, beer, sake, and spirits. We will taste 4-6 beverages per class.
- We will provide the names of the producers and bottlings tasted in each class and make recommendations for optional purchase.
- If you purchased wines before the scheduled class, you can taste them under the guidance of the Masters during the live instruction. Alternatively, if you prefer to purchase and taste the wines at a different time, you can watch the recorded lecture at your convenience while benefiting from tasting along with the Masters.
- We will teach you how Masters taste and evaluate wine. We will discuss what we look for in wines made from particular grape varieties in classic regions.
- We will use the Court of Master Sommeliers, Americas Deductive Tasting Method as a framework for evaluation.