Advanced Sommelier Course and Advanced Sommelier Examination
The Advanced Sommelier Course is designed to give candidates a template for upper-level examination study and a clear understanding of expectations at both the Advanced Sommelier Examination and Master Sommelier Diploma Examination.
- All candidates for the Advanced Sommelier Examination must first complete the Advanced Sommelier Course in preparation for the examination.
- The Advanced Sommelier Course is a three day, required educational program offered twice per year.
- The Advanced Sommelier Examination represents a significant increase over the Certified Sommelier Examination in required experience, knowledge, and skill level.
- Due to the level of difficulty, the Court of Master Sommeliers, Americas carefully reviews all candidates’ relevant experience and other qualifications.
- The Court of Master Sommeliers, Americas recommends that candidates have a minimum five years’ experience in beverage hospitality before applying for the Advanced Sommelier Course.
- The Court of Master Sommeliers, Americas recommends that candidates wait to apply for at least one calendar year after passing the Certified Sommelier Examination in order to adequately prepare for the Advanced Sommelier Course.
- Candidates who are unsuccessful in passing the Advanced Sommelier Examination after three successive attempts, despite passing one or more parts, are required to wait one full year from the time of their examination before reapplying.
2018 Advanced programming application deadline is November 24, 2017; no late applications will be accepted
2018 Advanced Sommelier Course
- April 16-18, 2018 Dallas, TX: Ritz Carlton
- June 4-6, 2018 Dallas, TX: Ritz Carlton
Scheduled topics will be posted when available.
Advanced Sommelier Course Enrollment Fee: $1,195.00
2018 Advanced Sommelier Examinations
- March 12-14, 2018 Portland, OR: Hotel Monaco
- July 9-11, 2018 Phoenix, AZ: Palomar Hotel
- October 22-24, 2018 St. Louis, MO; Four Seasons Resort
Advanced Sommelier Examination Enrollment Fee: $1,195.00
- A three-day examination testing Court standards in beverage sales and service
The examination is given in three parts:
- Practical restaurant beverage service and salesmanship in a dining room setting
- Written Theory
- Deductive Tasting of six wines
- Court of Master Sommeliers, Americas will offer THREE Advanced Examinations in 2018.
- Students must achieve a minimum score of 60% in all three sections to pass the examination.
- Students must pass this examination before being considered for invitation to sit the Master Sommelier Diploma examination.
PLEASE NOTE: The Court of Master Sommeliers Europe continues to offer a five day Advanced Course and Examination. Please see the Examination Site Policy for further details on where Candidates may sit depending on their geographic location and exam history. The respective Boards of the Court of Master Sommeliers Americas and the Court of Master Sommeliers Europe work together to ensure that the level of the qualifications remains the same no matter where candidates sit for them. Candidates should note that the only differences to the qualifications are the format in which they are offered.
KNOWLEDGE SURVEY - Clarification for Advanced Sommelier Course AND Advanced Sommelier Examination Candidates:
As part of the Advanced Sommelier Course AND Advanced Sommelier Examination application, all candidates will be asked to complete an online, timed knowledge survey. This survey is one piece of a multi-faceted application process created to gauge candidates’ theoretical knowledge, industry experience and overall preparedness for the Advanced Sommelier programming. Candidates do NOT have to take the survey when filling out the application; they will be prompted to select one of the following dates to participate in the survey at a later date (listed below).
- Monday, November 13, 2017 - CLOSED
- Monday, November 20, 2017
- Monday, November 27, 2017
- On these dates, the survey will be accessible for a four-hour window, from 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM EST / 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM PST.
REMINDER: The Knowledge Survey is for BOTH Advanced Sommelier Course AND Advanced Sommelier Examination candidates.
Advanced Programming Application Process:
The single application fee of $50 covers application to both the Advanced Sommelier Course and Advanced Sommelier Examination for 2018. There are a limited number of seats per year for both the Advanced Sommelier Course and the Advanced Sommelier Examination. The application process is designed to select candidates with the greatest potential for success. The Court of Master Sommeliers, Americas strongly recommends that candidates take time to gain the necessary experience to be successful in upper-level courses and examinations prior to applying for the Advanced Sommelier Course and Advanced Sommelier Examination.
Advanced Sommelier Course and Advanced Sommelier Examination Application Requirements for New and Returning Applicants
- Candidates are required to submit up to three professional recommendations; recommendation request generated electronically with application.
- Candidates are required to complete an online survey of their work and beverage hospitality experience.
- Candidates are required to complete a timed on-line knowledge survey.