Advanced Sommelier Course
- A three-day educational program exploring the Court of Master Sommeliers standards in beverage sales and service in greater depth. Presentation of specific topics designed to give candidates a template for upper-level exam study and a clear understanding of expectations at both the Advanced Sommelier Examination and Master Sommelier Diploma Examination.
- Prerequisite: Certified Sommelier Examination
Recommendations prior to applying:
- Minimum of five years experience in beverage hospitality
- Wait at least one calendar year after passing the Certified Sommelier Examination in order to adequately prepare for the Advanced Sommelier Course.
Click Here for the Advanced Application
NOTE: The Court of Master Sommeliers Europe continues to offer a five-day Advanced Course and Examination. Please see the Examination Site Policy that defines where a candidate may sit depending on geographic location and exam history. The respective Boards of the Court of Master Sommeliers Americas and the Court of Master Sommeliers Europe work together to ensure that the level of qualifications remains the same no matter where candidates sit. The only difference is the format in which they are offered.
Advanced Sommelier Examination
- A three-day examination testing the Court of Master Sommeliers standards in beverage sales and service. Represents a significant increase over the Certified Sommelier Examination in required experience, knowledge, and skill level.
The examination consists of three sections:
- Theory (written)
- Tasting (verbal)
- Service/Salesmanship (practical)
- Prerequisite: Advanced Sommelier Course
- Passing requirement: must achieve a minimum of 60% on each section within one sitting.
- Candidates who are unsuccessful in passing the Advanced Sommelier Examination after three successive attempts, despite passing one or more sections, are required to wait one full year from the time of their examination before reapplying.
Click Here for the Advanced Application
Advanced Application Process:
The application process is designed to select candidates with the greatest potential for success. Entrance into the Advanced Sommelier Course or Advanced Sommelier Examination is via a selection process conducted by the Examination Committee and the Examination Director. Applications are carefully reviewed for relevant experience and qualifications.
- Applicants can only apply for the course or exam, not both.
- Application fee of $50.00 due at time of application.
The application consists of the following:
- Work & Wine Survey: a survey of work and industry experience.
- Letters of recommendation: submit up to three professional recommendations; recommendation requests generated electronically with application.
Knowledge Survey: a timed (10-minute) online knowledge survey created to gauge theoretical knowledge. Applicants do NOT take the survey when filling out the application; applicants will be prompted to select one of the following dates.
- Monday, October 29, 2018
- Monday, November 5, 2018
- Monday, November 12, 2018
- On these dates, the survey will be accessible for a four-hour window, from 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM EST / 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM PST
2019 Advanced Dates & Application
To better accommodate the unprecedented number of qualified candidates ready to sit the Advanced Sommelier Examination, the Court of Master Sommeliers, Americas will offer four Advanced Sommelier Examinations and one Advanced Sommelier Course in 2019.
Advanced Sommelier Course:
April 15-17, 2019 Irving, TX
Advanced Sommelier Examinations:
March 11-13, 2019 Portland, OR
July 8-10, 2019 Phoenix, AZ
October 14-16, 2019 St. Louis, MO
November 4-6, 2019 Portland, OR
Eligibility to apply for the 2019 course:
- Applicant has passed the Certified Sommelier Examination prior to Oct. 1, 2018.
- Applicant has NOT previously attended the three-day Advanced Sommelier Course.
Eligibility to apply for the 2019 exam:
- Applicant has attended the three-day Advanced Sommelier Course prior to Jan. 1, 2019.