Advanced Sommelier Course and Advanced Sommelier Examination
The Advanced Sommelier Course is designed to give candidates a template for upper-level examination study and a clear understanding of expectations at both the Advanced Sommelier Examination and Master Sommelier Diploma Examination.
- All candidates for the Advanced Sommelier Examination must first complete the Advanced Sommelier Course in preparation for the examination. The Advanced Sommelier Examination represents a significant increase over the Certified Sommelier Examination in required experience, knowledge, and skill level.
- Due to the level of difficulty, the Court of Master Sommeliers, Americas carefully reviews all candidates’ relevant experience and other qualifications.
- The Court of Master Sommeliers, Americas recommends that candidates have a minimum five years’ experience in beverage hospitality before applying for the Advanced Sommelier Course.
- The Court of Master Sommeliers, Americas recommends that candidates wait to apply for at least one calendar year after passing the Certified Sommelier Examination in order to adequately prepare for the Advanced Sommelier Course.
- Candidates who are unsuccessful in passing the Advanced Sommelier Examination after three successive attempts, despite passing one or more parts, are required to wait one full year from the time of their examination before reapplying.
The 2017 Advanced Application will post the first week of November and be available for approx. 3 weeks.
2016 Advanced Sommelier Course
March 20-22, 2016
Dallas, TX: Four Seasons Resort
June 26-28, 2016
Dallas, TX: Four Seasons Resort
The fee for the Advanced Sommelier Course is $995.
- A three-day educational program.
- Court of Master Sommeliers, Americas will offer TWO Advanced Courses in 2016.
- Scheduled topics will be posted when available.
2016 Advanced Sommelier Examinations
- April 12 - 14, 2016 Portland, OR: Hotel Monaco
- July 11 - 13, 2016 Phoenix, AZ: Palomar Hotel
- October 24 - 26, 2016 St. Louis, MO: Four Seasons Resort
The fee for the Advanced Sommelier Examination is $995.
- A three-day examination testing Court standards in beverage sales and service
The examination is given in three parts:
- Practical restaurant beverage service and salesmanship in a dining room setting
- Written Theory
- Deductive Tasting of six wines
- Court of Master Sommeliers, Americas will offer THREE Advanced Examinations in 2016
- Students must achieve a minimum score of 60% in all three sections to pass the examination.
- Students must pass this examination before being considered for invitation to sit the Master Sommelier Diploma examination.
PLEASE NOTE: The Court of Master Sommeliers Europe continues to offer a five day Advanced Course and Examination. Please see the Examination Site Policy for further details on where Candidates may sit depending on their geographic location and exam history. The respective Boards of the Court of Master Sommeliers Americas and the Court of Master Sommeliers Europe work together to ensure that the level of the qualifications remains the same no matter where candidates sit for them. Candidates should note that the only differences to the qualifications are the format in which they are offered.
Clarification for CMS Advanced Sommelier Examination Candidates:
As part of the Advanced Sommelier Examination application, candidates will be asked to complete an online, timed knowledge survey. This survey is one piece of a multi-faceted application process created to gauge candidates’ theoretical knowledge, industry experience and overall preparedness for the Advanced Sommelier Examination. Candidates do NOT have to take the survey when filling out the application; they will be prompted to select one of the following dates to participate in the survey at a later date (listed below).
- Sunday, November 15, 2015; SURVEY DATE CLOSED
- Tuesday, November 24, 2015; SURVEY DATE CLOSED
- Monday, November 30, 2015
On these dates, the survey will be accessible for a four-hour window, from 11 am - 3 pm EST / 8 am - 12 pm PST.
REMINDER: The Knowledge Survey is for Advanced Sommelier Examination candidates ONLY
Advanced Programming Application Process:
The single application fee of $50 covers application to both the Advanced Sommelier Course and Advanced Sommelier Examination for 2016. There are a limited number of seats per year for both the Advanced Sommelier Course and the Advanced Sommelier Examination. The application process is designed to select candidates with the greatest potential for success. The Court of Master Sommeliers, Americas strongly recommends that candidates take time to gain the necessary experience to be successful in upper-level courses and examinations prior to applying for the Advanced Sommelier Course and Advanced Sommelier Examination. Advanced Sommelier Course Application
Advanced Sommelier Examination Application
- Candidates are required to complete a survey of their work and beverage hospitality experience.
- Candidates are required to complete an online survey of their work and beverage hospitality experience.
- Candidates are required to complete a timed on-line knowledge survey.