Introductory and Certified Exam Schedule Set through April 2013
(Napa Valley, Calif.) January 18, 2012—The Court of Master Sommeliers, Americas has announced the 2013 exam schedule for the Introductory and Certified Exams through April 2013. Courses and exams offered by the Court of Master Sommeliers are open to all beverage and hospitality professionals interested in pursuing the highest standards of wine service and product knowledge in a fine dining room setting.
The Introductory Sommelier Course & Exam is a fast-paced introduction to the world of wine and beverages led by Master Sommeliers. Two days of classroom-style lectures covers everything from French wine laws to classic wine producing regions to sake and beer. Students will also learn and perform the Deductive Tasting method of blind tasting from some of the best palates in the world.
Students who successfully pass the Introductory Sommelier Course & Exam are given the opportunity to sit for the Certified Sommelier Exam. In addition to a more comprehensive theory exam, participants will also be formally tested on the Deductive Tasting method and service skills in a fine dining restaurant setting. This provides students the credential as a certified sommelier to show employers their skills have been evaluated at a high level of proficiency.
Entrance into the Advanced Sommelier Course & Examination is via a selection process conducted by the Court of Master Sommeliers. The Advanced Examination is exponentially more challenging than the Certified Sommelier Examination, and a required step in the progress toward the Master Sommelier Diploma. Students successfully passing the Advanced Sommelier Course and Examination are eligible to be invited to sit for the Master Sommelier Diploma.
To see full exam descriptions and expectations, please see the Court of Master Sommeliers’ course and schedule overview.
Introductory Sommelier Course & Exam Schedule
Two-day educational course ending with a multiple-choice theory examination at the end of day two; 8:00am-5:30pm
- January 7-8: New York, NY—International Culinary Center
- January 19-20: Anaheim, CA—The Ranch
- February 4-5: Austin, TX—The Driskell Hotel
- February 16-17: San Francisco, CA—Sir Francis Drake Hotel
- February 25-26: Chicago, IL—City Winery Chicago
- March 25-26: Campbell, CA—International Culinary Center
- March 25-26: New York, NY—International Culinary Center
- March 26-27: Portland, OR—The Heathman Hotel
- March 26-27: Las Vegas, NV—Bellagio Resort
- March 27-28: Atlanta, GA—Ritz Carlton Buckhead
- March 31-April1: Minneapolis, MN—Graves 601 Hotel
- April 10-11: Virginia Beach, VA—VA Beach Convention Center
- April 27-28: Hyde Park, NY—Culinary Institute of America
Certified Sommelier Exam
Mandatory prerequisite of successfully completing the Introductory Sommelier Course & Exam; one-day exam only; 8:00am-5:30pm
- January 9: New York, NY—International Culinary Center
- January 21: Anaheim, CA—The Ranch
- February 3: Austin, TX—The Driskell Hotel
- February 15: San Francisco, CA—Sir Francis Drake Hotel
- February 24: Chicago, IL—City Winery Chicago
- March 25: Las Vegas, NV—Bellagio Resort
- March 26: Palm Beach, FL—The Breakers
- March 27: Campbell, CA— International Culinary Center
- March 27: New York, NY—International Culinary Center
- March 28: Portland, OR—The Heathman Hotel
- March 29: Atlanta, GA—Ritz Carlton Buckhead
- March 30: Minneapolis, MN—Graves 601 Hotel
- April 12: Virginia Beach, VA—Zoe’s Restaurant
- April 29: Hyde Park, NY—Culinary Institute of America
Advanced Sommelier Exam
Mandatory prerequisite of successfully completing the Introductory Sommelier Course & Exam and the Certified Sommelier Exam; three-day educational course followed by two days of examination
- April 8-12: Anaheim, CA—Disney's Grand Californian Resort
ABOUT THE COURT OF MASTER SOMMELIERS
The Court of Master Sommeliers was established to encourage improved standards of beverage knowledge and service in hotels and restaurants. Education was then, and remains today, the Court's charter. The first successful Master Sommelier examination was held in the United Kingdom in 1969. By April 1977, the Court of Master Sommeliers was established as the premier international examining body.
Over the four decades since the Court's first examination was held, 197 individuals have earned the Master Sommelier Diploma. In the service of wine, spirits and other alcoholic beverages, the Master Sommelier Diploma is the ultimate professional credential anyone can attain worldwide.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT
C. MILAN COMMUNICATIONS AT 415-392-6600.
COURT OF MASTER SOMMELIERS AT 707-255-5056